A servo mechanism, sometimes shortened to servo, is an automatic device that uses error-sensing negative feedback to correct the performance of a mechanism and is defined by its function.It usually includes an in-built encoder.
The term correctly applies only to systems where the feedback or error-correction signals help control mechanical position, speed or other parameters. For example, an automotive power window control is not a servomechanism, as there is no automatic feedback that controls position—the operator does this by observation. By contrast a car’s cruise control uses closed loop feedback, which classifies it as a servomechanism.
SERVO SYSTEMS is a motion control distributor offering a wide array of affordable, reliable and top-quality automation products. By selecting Servo Systems Co. for your motion control and automation needs, you can be confident that you will receive outstanding products from leading manufacturers at competitive prices. Our Technical Sales Associates are always prepared to answer your questions and help you make the appropriate selections for your applications. We are pleased to offer the following products and services.
- Engineering and application assistance
- Over 1,000 different items in stock
- Off-the-shelf delivery
- Step motor systems
- Servo motor systems: brush, brushless and geared
- PC, VME and stand-alone controllers, single and multi-axis configurations
- Linear and rotary positioning systems
- Feedback devices: encoders, resolvers, counters, displays and related equipment
- Electrical enclosures and custom cabling for high-quality installation